Simpson half century leads 4th XI to victory

29th May 2018 By OBWCC

After some overnight (and early morning) rain, and with plenty of cloud still hanging around, the 4th XI arrived at the Tockington Manor Ground expecting an on/off day against Thornbury 4th XI.

After losing the toss and being invited to bat first, we were soon a wicket down after Nathan chased a wide one and nicked off to first slip.

Bevo and Paul Nott rebuilt, Nott hitting a couple of lovely sixes before being run out by a smart piece of work by the man at extra cover, before Bevo also fell to the ‘chasing a wide one’ curse and top edged it to gully.

At 84-3 at drinks, you’d have been forgiven for betting on us being 150 all out. But with debutant Archie Joslin scoring a good 19, and then the partnership of Murray Bishop (41) and the excellent Rob Simpson (51*) the runs flowed at over a run a ball in the second half of the innings – Simpson with some particularly well-struck drives down the ground.

The lower order had the luxury of being able to swing the bat in the last 3 or 4 overs as we finished on 220-9.

After a pleasant tea, we took the field and Ollie Harris opened the bowling beautifully, getting good shape away from the right handlers and deservedly getting himself a wicket.

Debutants Joslin and Charlie Vaughan (both 13) entered as first change bowlers, Vaughan picking up a wicket in his first over by simply bowling a good line and length delivery and watching the batter play all around it.

Rhys Price anchored the innings well for Thornbury, the youngster playing very nicely for his 35 before falling to Ian Vaughan LBW, whilst captain Andrew Moffatt struck some lusty blows in making his way to 60. When he fell, caught well by Ian in the deep, the tail didn’t last too long as Archie and Charlie took 3 of the last 4 wickets – Thornbury finishing on 173.

Our thanks go to Thornbury who were excellent hosts, and who played the game in absolutely the right spirit. We appreciated the substitute fielder when one of our youngsters took one on the shin and needed to go off for a while – thank you! Great work in getting the game on too given the morning’s difficult conditions.

We look forward to welcoming them back to Fortress Failand later in the year.